Hey guys! Today I’m 24. Which officially means I’m in my mid-twenties. Is it weird I’m
mostly totally okay with that?
First off, I want to thank each and everyone one of you who responded to my twenty-something crisis post. I teared up reading a few of the comments- seriously, you guys are so awesome for sharing your sympathy and wise advice.
Okay, and back to the birthday. My family threw me the loveliest birthday at my lake house, complete with the same strawberry cake I’ve had every year since I was 16. And while I did receive some lovely gifts (a new Swarovski necklace!), the real gift was being home: riding old-fashioned bikes with my brother, sipping champagne with my grandmother, hearing my grandpa’s World War II stories over coffee. I adore my family.
Also, I do have some exciting plans in the works. While I don’t want to prematurely announce them, I’m 95% sure of where I’m moving in September- but my lips are sealed until I sign the lease!
And I’m so excited to continue blogging about my world trip- I still have Switzerland, England, Wales, Spain, France, India, Thailand, Malaysia AND Vietnam to cover! There’s so much I can’t wait to share.
And long-time readers may remember that last year I posted a list of 23 things I wanted to accomplish in my 23rd year. Here’s how I did!
Learn how to scuba-dive, get in the best shape of my life, learn how to cook Asian food, get 3 freelance articles published, fight muay thai, make a conscious effort to keep up my French and Spanish, try Stand Up Paddleboarding, pay off all my debt
WILL COMPLETE (I SWEAR): (10/23)
Move to a new city after the Asia trip, learn how to drive manually, get a job that I love, try surfing again, go to a music festival, volunteer for a great cause, attend a travel blogging or media conference, take a graphic design course, throw a surprise birthday party, run a 5K Color Run
1. Learn how to use my camera in manual, learn how to shoot in RAW and edit with Lightroom.
I learned how to shoot in manual and use Lightroom, but still don’t know much about RAW. Oops.
2. Buy a new wardrobe.
Um, do a few ASOS dresses and two pairs of jeans count?
3. Buy a custom-design for my site.
Well, I got a new theme. But money was way too tight for a $5,000 redesign.
4. Learn how to do liquid eyeliner like a French girl (yup, still failing after a year).
Yeah. I think I’ve got this one but I’d have to run it by my French friends.
5. Keep blogging!
Well I took an intentional three-month break, but I fully intend to blog regularly now.
. . . . . . . . . .
And for next year? Here are seven goals. (Apparently 23 was far too ambitious!)
1. Make a conscious effort to be happy and make friends wherever I move this year.
2. Post at least one recipe a month on this blog. I miss cooking, especially cooking French food!
3. Stay in shape. I’d love to run my first 5K and get into pilates.
4. Keep up my French and Spanish. Y’all know how much I love languages.
5. Write handwritten thank you cards. It’s just classy.
6. Get better at dancing. Perhaps belly-dancing or salsa?
7. Try a wreck dive. Now that I’m an Advanced Open Water diver I’d love to do this.
. . . . . . . . . .
So, do you set goals at your birthday? Or is it just me?
Enjoyed this post? Subscribe here!
Subscribe here to receive new Ashley Abroad posts straight to your inbox.